You have undoubtedly already heard of Netflix, an American Company that recently conquered the European market. But did you know that it is possible to become part of this success story by speculating in their shares on the stock markets? To do so you need to learn about the particularities of Netflix shares and the company including the real time price and certain useful information that you can all find here.
About the Netflix Group:
The Netflix Group is an American group specialised in Video On Demand (VOD). It offers a service of continuous online viewing of films and series through a monthly subscription model. This group has also developed a DVD rental by mail activity.
Although they achieve over 70% of their turnover in the United States, the Netflix Group has succeeded in positioning their service in other markets throughout the world including Europe.
The principal competitors of Netflix:
Netflix stands as one of the VOD leaders worldwide but its supremacy is currently challenged by a number of serious competitors that it is important to know about if you wish to trade in these shares online. Here therefore are details on the major serious competitors of Netflix in this highly popular sector.
- Amazon is undoubtedly the major competitor of Netflix since its implementation of a VOD service that offers over 40,000 films and series under the name Instant Video in the United States. With 10 million subscribers already it could rapidly spread throughout the world.
- Hulu Plus functions along the same business model as Netflix. Currently available in only a few countries, it is priced around the same as Netflix and offers a large video catalogue.
- Google is also a potential competitor of Netflix with the launch of Chromecast, a device that enables the synchronisation of internet activities with a television monitor.
- Finally, Canal Play of the Canal + Company, belonging to the Bolloré Group, is the major competitor of Netflix in France. Slightly more expensive than its competitor it offers more than 1,500 films and 6,000 series episodes for a slightly lower price.
The major partners of Netflix:
- In 2016 Netflix signed a partnership with Disney, Lucas Films, Marvel and Pixar to obtain the exclusive distribution rights of the latest films and series of these great names in Cinema.
- In 2017 Netflix signed a partnership with Altice and SFR to cover France, Portugal, Israel and the Dominican Republic with the SFR box.
- Netflix is also working with Google at present on the development of a virtual reality headset, the ‘DayDream’ that can be used to view Netflix content.
Analysis of the Netflix share price:
The price of Netflix shares is currently quoted on the Nasdaq All Markets stock market in the United States. It is also integrated in the rate of the Nasdaq stock market index.
The historical stock market chart of Netflix shares reveals an initial peak of this asset from February 2010 to July 2011 followed by a slight retreat. Another rising trend, much stronger this time, began in September 2012 and continues even now.
Important stock market information about Netflix shares:
A good investment in the stock markets requires a certain amount of knowledge about the shares and the company that you plan to speculate on. Therefore the specific data that we have previously mentioned such as a historical technical analysis of the Netflix share price or data resulting from a fundamental analysis are extremely important. However, it is also important not to neglect other, more general, information such as that we will reveal here which will assist you in more easily understanding the position of Netflix shares on the stock markets together with that of its asset.
- In 2017 the total stock market capital of the Netflix Company came to U.S. $69,072.70 million.
- The number of shares issued by the Netflix Company and currently in circulation on the stock markets is 430,054,000.
- The price of Netflix shares is currently quoted on the Global Select Market of the Nasdaq All Markets stock market in the United States.
- The Netflix Company shares are also included in the composition of the American stock market index, the Nasdaq 100, this company is therefore one of the top 100 companies in the new technology sector in terms of stock market capital.
- Shareholdings in the Netflix Company are composed as follows: 12.04% is held by the Capital Research Global Investors Group, 6.10% by The Vanguard Group, 5.45% held by the American investment fund Growth Fund of America, 4.57% by Fidelity Management and Research Company, 3.97% by the State Street Corporation, 3.51% by T Row Price Associates, 2.48% by Jennison Associates and 2.37% by SRS Investment Management. The rest of the company shares are held by numerous individual investors that trade Netflix shares on the international stock markets.
The advantages and disadvantages of Netflix as a stock market asset:
Before beginning to invest on Netflix shares, it is necessary to know the advantages of this company first and thus the possibilities of an upward evolution of this asset. Here is a summary of the advantages of this company in the years to come.
First, Netflix offers its services at a rather affordable price which enables it to reach a wide range of public. The video on demand platform offers subscriptions for under €10 for the simple membership and up to €12 euros for a premium one.
In addition, Netflix has the advantage of offering a wide range of content with several original series which have built its success and are done every year including Marvel, House of Cards, Sense 8, Stranger Things which have a very strong popularity and optimal communication. In order to guarantee better quality content, Netflix has in fact been able to set up numerous and varied strategic partnerships, particularly with Disney, Lucasfilm and Pixar studios. Netflix original content is in fact a real advantage of this platform when compared to its competitors. In the past and very recently, some original content has increased the number of subscribers to the platform thanks to the significant success that they have encountered.
It must be said that Netflix has put in place all the technological tools necessary to anticipate the needs and desires of the public and thus detect before the others the content that its likely to be successful. This strategy includes the implementation of certain algorithms in charge of automatically studying the habitudes of consumption of its subscribers enabling the platform to propose them movies and series that correspond to their preferences.
Netflix has become a brand with a very strong reputation over time. In fact, Netflix has become the only brand name for online streaming content and has experienced an increase of more than 6000 % in its price, since 2007, in less than 10 years.
Finally, the large international clientele of the platform is the last major advantage of this company. The company offers its content in more than 190 different countries and counts with more than 100 million subscribers around the world. Thanks to this feat, Netflix has a very strong bargaining power among studios, which has allowed it to easily obtain the rights of some very promising original content.
The disadvantages and weak points of Netflix shares as a stock market asset:
Of course, Netflix does not only have advantages for investors and it is necessary to be cautious before starting to trade this asset on the stock market and learn all the disadvantages of Netflix and the elements that could affect its profitability.
Of course, the first disadvantage of this company concerns the increasingly strong competition around the world, specially in Europe since the American giant is already struggling to position itself in the market. Netflix is in fact only being tried in European countries which are not very familiar with this new way of online consumption and must still build its reputation by reassuring consumers about this new mode of watching paid content.
Another obstacle to the development of Netflix is the cost of the original content offered by the platform. In fact, and even if this content is the basis of Netflix’s reputation and represents therefore one of the company’s advantages, the expenses required to acquire this content is becoming higher and higher. In 2017 alone, Netflix invested more than 2.5 billion dollars only in securing original titles, an expense that is difficult to monetize when the content does not meet the expected success.
It should also be noticed that the company has no rights to the original content. In fact, Netflix does not directly own most of the programs that it offers, unlike traditional television studios. Netflix thus holds the rights of the content it broadcasts for a period of one year without any guarantee that this original content will not be proposed later on to their competitors.
Finally, Netflix has recently suffered a loss of notoriety after being categorized in class D in terms of environmental awareness. This has aroused strong reactions among environmentalists and a bad publicity for the company. It is important to notice that Netflix’s main competitors, Amazon and Facebook use more than 40% of renewable energy for its services.