General presentation of the Alcon company:
As an investor, you must also have a perfect knowledge of Alcon and its specificities before you start trading in this security. This requires in particular a good knowledge of the main products marketed by this company and its main sources of income.
The Alcon group is a Swiss company which operates in the pharmaceutical sector. More specifically, this company is currently the world leader in the design, production and sale of eye care products.
To better understand the activities of this company, we can divide them into different categories according to the share of turnover they generate and in this way:
- Ophthalmic surgical products and equipment represent 56.7% of the group's turnover with consumables, implantable products or even surgical equipment intended for the treatment of cataracts, retinal diseases, glaucoma and refractive errors.
- Vision care products generate 43.3% of the company's turnover with contact lenses, eye care products, eye drops or ophthalmic ointments.
Currently, the Alcon group owns and operates 18 different production sites around the world.
From a geographic point of view, Alcon achieves only 0.8% of its turnover in Switzerland. Its largest market is the American market with 41.5% of turnover. Next comes Japan with 8.9% of turnover and the rest of the world for 48.8%.
Knowing the Alcon shares' competition:
Now let's find out who are Alcon's most important competitors in its industry with the most profitable companies in this segment:
- Bausch and Lomb: This American company is currently the world number one in medical ophthalmology and optics. It was created in Germany in 1853 before migrating to the United States. This company notably supplies the US Navy with binoculars and telescopes, optical glasses, photographic lenses, microscopes and more recently, a range of eye care products.
- Reckitt Benckiser: this British company is another competitor to Alcon and specializes in the manufacture and sale of cleaning products and pharmaceuticals. It is the result of the merger between Reckitt & Colman and Benckiser in 1999 and is currently the world leader in the segment of household cleaning products.
- Théa: Finally, the French company Théa is also a serious competitor of Alcon, this time specializing in pharmacological products in the ophthalmology segment.
The strategic alliances set up by the Alcon group:
The Alcon group has also based its growth strategy on the implementation of various partnerships with large companies. We therefore invite you to discover two concrete examples of this type of alliance, to help you understand its importance as part of your strategies.
- Google: First of all, Google decided, in 2014, to make life easier for diabetics by offering them the possibility of measuring their blood sugar level thanks to smart contact lenses and thus position themselves in the connected health segment. It is within the framework of this project that Google signed a strategic partnership with the company Alcon which was then a subsidiary of the Novartis group.
- Royal Philips: A little later, Alcon also signed a major partnership with the world leader in health technology Royal Philips by giving it access to its digital platform Philips HealthSuite as part of the development of Alcon Smart Suite which is an innovative eye care platform developed to streamline, simplify and improve cataract surgery for surgeons and patients.
- Workiva: Even more recently, in 2020, the Alcon group signed a strategic partnership with Workiva, a leading American platform for connected reporting and compliance. Alcon will be able to use the platform of this company in order to build and develop the compliance processes relating to its global audit, enterprise risk management or ERM and Sarvanes-Oxley or SOX law.