General Presentation of the Barrick Gold Company:
The Barrick Gold Corporation is currently one of the global leaders in the production of pure gold. Of course, due to its activities the company’s turnover originates from various geographical areas.
The greatest part of this company’s turnover is from North America with a production of 2.96 million ounces per year. Then we find Australia and Africa with 1.35 million ounces per year followed by Latin America with 646,000 ounces produced per year.
Introduction and quotation of the Barrick Gold share price:
The share price of Barrick Gold is currently quoted on the American NYSE stock market in New York.
Stock Market data
- In 2017 the total stock market capital of the Barrick Gold Company attained 19,065.08 million U.S. dollars.
- The number of shares issued by the Barrick Gold Company and currently in circulation on the stock market is around 8,994,367.
- The share price of the Barrick Gold Company is currently quoted on the Main Market of the NYSE in the United States.
- The Barrick Gold Company is also included in the American NASDAQ 100 stock market index and it is therefore one of the top 100 companies in terms of capital.
- Shareholdings in the Barrick Gold Company are currently held as follows: 6.42% by Van Eck Associates Corp., 3.03% by Capital Research & Management Co., 2.98% by First Eagle Investment Management LLC, 2.25% by the Vanguard Group, 1.88% by TD Asset Management, 1.66% by RBC Global Asset Management Inc., 1.56% by Templeton Global Advisors Ltd, 1.56% by Black Rock, 1.50% by Majedie Asset Management and 1.34% by BMO Asset Management Inc. The remainder of the shares are floating and therefore held by private institutional investors and individuals.
To be able to correctly and clearly interpret the historical stock market charts of the Barrick Gold Company share price you will need to know the recent major events that have influenced this company financially and economically. Here therefore are some significant dates and events for your information:
- In 2003, Barrick Gold produced 5.5 million troy ounces of gold at the price of 189 dollars per ounce and accumulated a reserve of nearly 86 million ounces. The majority of this production came from the Goldstrike Property site in Nevada, an open and underground mine that produces around 58 tons of gold each year.
- In 2005 Barrick Gold made a takeover bid for Placer Dome, a significant competitor, in the amount of 9.2 billion American dollars. Its offer was then increased to 12.1 billion dollars which was then accepted.
- In 2006 the group therefore succeeded in obtaining the control of Placer Dome and thus became the global leader in gold production. In the same year it sold four Placer Dome mines to GoldCorp for the sum of 1.6 billion American dollars.
- In 2009 Barrick Gold was at the centre of a litigation case in the American law courts when indigenous groups opposed the gold mining operations of a site in the north east of Nevada.
- Finally, in 2017, the Barrick Gold Group sold half its Argentinean gold mining operation to a Chinese group, Shandong Gold Group, for an unknown sum.
The advantages and strengths of Barrick Gold shares as a stock market asset :
Firstly, it is of course an undeniable strength that the Barrick Gold group is well established geographically and worldwide. Indeed, the company currently operates mines and develops innovative exploration and development projects on all continents.
The group can of course rely on its impressive workforce to meet market demand, as Barrick Gold currently employs more than 20,000 people worldwide.
Barrick Gold is also a reassuring company for investors thanks to its gold reserves. It is estimated that these mineral reserves are probably as high as 130 million ounces at present.
Barrick Gold also spends a lot of money on the environment. At a time when the preservation of the planet and the environment are at the heart of the world's concerns, this contributes to the good image of this company.
Barrick Gold's efforts to make its name known are also noteworthy. This was particularly the case after the installation of the world's tallest wind turbine at an altitude of more than 4,200 metres at a mine in Veladero, Argentina.
The company also reassures analysts and investors with its ability to meet its gold production quotas. This feat has been made possible thanks to a very well thought-out operational strategy that the group has been pursuing for several years.
Finally, the Barrick Gold group spends a lot of money on technology, expansion and exploration in order to further maximize its profits. Thanks to these efforts, the group continues to earn the confidence of its shareholders.
Disadvantages and weaknesses of the Barrick Gold share as a stock exchange asset :
Firstly, and despite the efforts made by Barrick Gold to restore its image from an ecological point of view, the group is still heavily criticized by ecologists around the world who accuse the company of dumping highly toxic substances such as cyanide, mercury and other heavy metals into the environment, resulting in significant damage to the ecology but also numerous cases of poisoning of human populations.
Still on the subject of the image of Barrick Gold, we can also mention the charges brought against the Porgera gold mine, which have had a very significant impact on the company. The company has been excluded from The Government Pension Fund of Norway, one of the largest sovereign wealth funds in the world. It goes without saying that this exclusion was not without financial consequences for the group.
If these few shortcomings seem less numerous than the advantages of this stock, their weight remains important and you must therefore take them into account when implementing your investment strategy on the Barrick Gold share price.