General presentation of Becton Dickinson:
Now let's find out who Becton Dickinson is and how the company generates profit with its core business and sources of income.
The Becton Dickinson group is an American company specializing in the medical sector and more specifically in the development, production and marketing of medical equipment and diagnostic devices. To better understand the group's activities, they can be divided into several divisions according to the percentage of turnover they generate as so:
- Medical devices alone represent nearly 52.4% of the group's turnover, with surgical instruments for 71%, pharmaceutical systems for 16.2% and diabetes care products for 12.2%.
- Next comes diagnostic equipment with 24.9% of the company's turnover. This includes automated systems for blood culture, the detection of mycobacteria and molecular biology, devices dedicated to medical biology and others.
- Finally, the remainder of the group's turnover, i.e. 22.7%, comes from research and clinical development tools with equipment intended for the discovery of drugs and vaccines, the study of genes, cell culture and liquid manipulation, cell sorting and analysis instruments, and mononuclear antibodies.
It's also interesting to know the geographical distribution of the income of the Becton Dickinson group. The group achieves 56.3% of its turnover in the United States, 19.4% in Europe, 15.8% in Asia-Pacific and 8.5% in the rest of the world.
Currently, Becton Dickinson employs over 70,093 people around the world.
Know the competition of the Becton Dickinson share:
To understand what can influence the Becton Dickinson share price, you also need to be familiar with the company's competitors. Here are the most important ones on the world market:
- Shandong Weigao Group Medical Polymer Co: This company is a Chinese enterprise committed to the research, development, manufacture and marketing of single-use medical devices. It owns the Jierui and Wego Ortho brands and operates both in the segment of single-use medical devices and other types of devices such as diagnostic equipment.
- Teleflex Incorporated: This American Company also specializes in the design, manufacture and sale of single-use medical devices for hospitals and healthcare providers for diagnostic, therapeutic procedures in intensive care applications and in surgery.
- Coloplast: Finally, Becton Dickinson's third largest competitor is Coloplast, a Swiss company specializing in the design, production and sale of medical products such as hygiene products, ostomy care products and wound and skin care products.
Strategic alliances set up by the Becton Dickinson group:
Finally, you can learn a little more about the strategic partnerships that the Becton Dickinson group has put in place over the past few years with two tangible examples:
- Aptar Pharma: In 2019, Becton Dickinson signed a strategic partnership with the specialist in drug delivery solutions Aptar Pharma. The two companies decided to collaborate in order to develop a new generation of auto-injector pens. This solution will be based on Aptar's dual-compartment auto injector and Becton pre-filled syringe technology.
- Technicada: The same year, the Becton Dickinson group joined forces with Technicada in order to allow the Grenobles Alpes university hospital centre to remain innovative. The centre therefore ordered a Becton robotic chain from these two service providers, coupled with dedicated management software developed by Technicada.