General presentation of Biogen :
Let's now move on to another important part of your analysis of Biogen's share price, which consists of a good knowledge of the company and its various activities. Indeed, it is through this knowledge and an understanding of the sources of income of this group that you will be most likely to anticipate the growth issues of this company.
The Biogen Inc. group is an American company operating in the pharmaceutical sector. More specifically, this company is currently one of the leaders in the design, production and sale of therapeutic products worldwide.
In order to better understand the Biogen group's activities, they can be broken down into several divisions according to the share of turnover they generate :
- Drug sales represent the bulk of Biogen's business and alone generate 79.2% of the company's sales. These include medicines for the treatment of multiple sclerosis, chronic adult psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, cancers and other diseases.
- The Biogen group also generates nearly 15.9% of its revenues through the collection of royalties from the use of patents it has filed.
- Finally, the remaining 4.9% of the company's turnover, i.e. 4.9%, comes from other activities and in particular a large part of the income from various partnership agreements.
To know the competition of the Biogen action :
We now propose you to discover how to make a good study of Biogen's competition by analysing the news and results of the companies that are the direct opponents of this group on the market.
- TevaPharmaceuticals: This company based in Israel is indeed one of the most important pharmaceutical companies in the world but also and above all the leading producer of generic drugs in the world. This company owns several brands of medicines such as Teva but also Ratiopharm, Cephalon, Taiyo, Barr, Pliva and Ivax.
- Novartis: This Swiss pharmaceutical group is another important competitor of Biogen. It has been in existence since 1996 and is the result of the merger of Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz.
- Sanofi: Finally, the Sanofi group is a French company also specialising in this sector, notably with prescription drugs in the diabetes, rare diseases, multiple sclerosis and oncology sectors, consumer health products and a number of generic drugs. It also develops vaccines.
The strategic alliances set up by the Biogen group :
We now offer you an overview of the recent partnerships that the Biogen group has been able to set up and their respective objectives with two concrete examples.
- Digital Pharma Lab: First of all and in 2018, the Biogen group has signed a partnership with Digital Pharma Lab, the European accelerator of pharmatech with Biogen's participation in the first season of its programme. Thanks to this partnership, Biogen is the first company in its sector to benefit from Digital Pharma Lab's acceleration programme and has even become its exclusive partner in the neurosciences field.
- Theradiag: Another partnership signed this time in 2019 is the one set up with Theradiag to supply Lisa Tacker kits for monitoring Flixabi, a biosimilar of infliximab. Biogen is in fact a company specialising in the manufacture of biomedicines and has made several drugs available to France, including Flixabi, with the aim of helping to control healthcare costs. These monitoring kits will thus be offered in calls for tender in which the company is participating in France and in certain European countries, with the aim of optimising the care of patients treated with this drug.