General presentation of the company Kone :
Let's take a look at Kone and its business to help you better understand its growth opportunities and threats. In order to do so, you need to know the group's activities and sources of income.
The Kone Group is an American company specialising in the lift sector and is one of the world's leading manufacturers of lifts, lifts and automatic doors. In addition to these main activities, the group also provides installation, modernisation and maintenance services for this equipment.
In order to better understand Kone's activities, they can be divided into different divisions according to the share of turnover they generate :
- Equipment sales represent the bulk of the group's business and alone generate nearly 53.3% of the company's turnover, with sales of automatic doors, lifts, staircases and moving walkways in particular.
- The remaining 46.7% of turnover was generated by the group's installation, modernisation and maintenance services.
Currently, the Kone Group operates more than 12 production sites around the world, including 6 in Europe, 3 in Asia and 3 in America. It also employs more than 59,825 people.
It is also interesting to know the geographical distribution of Kone's activities, with 40.5% of turnover generated in Europe-Middle East-Africa, 39% in Asia-Pacific and 20.5% in America.
Know the competition of the Kone share :
Let's now find out who are the main competitors of the Kone Group in the market for lifts and automatic doors:
- Schindler Holding: This German company is currently the world's largest producer of escalators and the second largest producer of lifts. It offers in particular sales but also installation and maintenance of all kinds of lift systems.
- Zardoya Otis: It is the leading Spanish manufacturer and maintainer of lifts, escalators and conveyor belts at the moment.
- ThyssenKrupp: This German company, which has existed since 1999 and has several subsidiaries, offers activities in the steel industry, automotive components, lifts, my material, industrial solutions and marine systems.
The strategic alliances set up by the Kone Group :
After the competitors, let's discover Kone's allies with two examples of recent strategic partnerships:
- IBM: In 2019, the Kone group has notably joined forces with the American giant IBM in order to transform its operations and its technological capacities throughout the world. Kone's new 24/7 connected services use IoT platforms to deliver intelligent services to lifts and escalators.
- ThyssenKrupp: Also in 2019, another interesting merger took place with an offer for Kone to take over the lift division of ThyssenKrupp AG. As this division was suffering from a lack of profitability, Kone offered €17 billion for its takeover. However, due to the Covid-19 crisis that followed in early 2020, this transaction has been postponed and no further action has been taken for the time being, which should be followed with interest.