About the Santander Group:
The Santander group, or Banco Santander, is the leader of the Spanish banking sector. Its activities can be classified into three main sectors starting with of course its commercial banking activities, operations and services, plus the investment banking sector including finance and markets, and finally asset management and private banking activities.
The major part of this group’s income comes from the United Kingdom and continental Europe, as well as Latin America and the United States. It currently manages no less than 660 billion Euros of outstanding credit and 600 billion Euros of deposits.
The major competitors of Santander:
The banking group, Banco Santander, is currently one of the bank sector leaders in Spain. But it is also trying for a major position on the European market and, with this aim, faces considerable competition from other large banking groups. Here we offer you the opportunity to learn more about the major European competitors to Santander in 2016.
The top 8 of the largest European banks in 2016 are as follows:
- BNP Paribas (€2,392.18 billion)
- Barclays (€1,958.55 billion)
- Deutsche Bank (€1,955.47 billion)
- Crédit Agricole (€1,803.30 billion)
- Royal bank of Scotland (€1,527.70 billion)
- Société Générale (€1,428.80 billion)
- Banco Santander (€1,369.69 billion)
- BPCE (€1,238.57 billion)
By analysing changes in this list and the financial accounts of each of these competitors to Santander you will have a lot of useful information that will assist you in completing a comprehensive fundamental analysis of this stock market share.
The major partners of Santander:
To conclude here is a summary of the major partnerships implemented by the Santander Group during recent years.
- In 2014 the CNP Assurances group announced the signature of an exclusive long term distribution agreement with Santander Consumer Finance (Groupe Banco Santander) as well as the 51% acquisition of its life and other insurance subsidiaries.
- A partnership between the PSA financial bank and Santander Consumer Finance was signed in 2013 and the joint venture in Poland started its activities on 3rd October 2016. This company has been responsible since then for the financing of the automobile concessions for Peugeot, Citroen and DS.
- The largest bank in Morocco, Attijariwafa, and the largest Spanish bank, Santander, signed an agreement in 2016 to facilitate their clients’ procedures.
Different subsidiaries of the Banco Santander group:
The Spanish group Banco Santander has a number of different subsidiaries that it is important to know about to be able to identify the different sectors of its activity and its reach over the international stock markets.
- It holds 100% of the shares of the Abbey National building society in the United Kingdom.
- It also holds a 100% shareholding of Sovereign Bancorp in the United States.
- 98.5% of the shares of Banesto in Spain.
- 93% of the shares of Banco de Venezuela in Venuzuela.
- 50% of the shares of Banco Rio de la Plata SA in Argentina.
- A 30% shareholding in Banespa (Banco di Estado de Sao Paulo) in Brazil.
- A 5.6% shareholding of the AttijariWafa Bank in Morocco.
The Banco Santander group also holds a 7.57% shareholding in the company Banci de Galicia y Buenos Aires SA in Argentina and 4% of the shares of the Commerzbank AG in Germany, 1.5% of the French banking group Société Générale and 30.21% of the Spanish company Antena 3.
Analysis of the Santander share price:
The price of Santander shares is quoted on the NYSE Euronext in Amsterdam and the rate is included in the calculations of the Euro Stoxx 50. Although it is currently experiencing a slight fall in the price, specialist share market analysts believe that the price should recover rapidly, thereby raising the possibility for comfortable profits for traders.
Important stock market data about Santander shares:
In order to complete the information that you have read on this page such as a historical technical analysis or the detailed activities of this Spanish banking group, here is some more general information that you should also be aware of:
- In 2017, the total stock market capital of the Banco Santander group attained €87,873.19 million.
- The number of shares issued by the Banco Santando Company and in circulation on the stock markets is around 14,582,340,701.
- The Santander share price is actually quoted on the Mercado Continuo section of the Mercado Continuo stock market in Spain.
- The Santander Group share price is also integrated in the calculation of the National Spanish stock market Index, the Ibex 35.
- 56.3% of Santander’s shareholders are institutional, 42.50% are individuals and 1.2% of the shares are held by the administrators.