General presentation of Sunpower:
The Sunpower Corp group is a company specializing in the global energy sector. The company provides solar solutions to residential and commercial customers and to power plants.
Sunpower is made up of several upstream and downstream segments with SunPower Energy Services downstream and Sunpower technologies upstream.
Sunpower Energy Services is responsible for the sale of solar energy solutions in North America including direct sales of engineering, procurement and turnkey construction services, sales to the group's third-party reseller network, the sale of energy under power purchase contracts, storage solutions, cash sales and long-term leases to end customers and sale to resellers.
Sunpower Technologies is engaged in technology development, solar panel production activities around the world, supplying equipment to resellers, commercial and residential end customers outside of North America and development and sale of power plant projects around the world.
Currently, the Sunpower Company employs 8,400 people worldwide.
Know the competition of the Sunpower share:
Let's take a look at the direct competitors of the Sunpower group with the three largest players in the photovoltaic panel sector worldwide:
- Jinko: this Chinese company is one of the world leaders in the photovoltaic sector and has two production sites in China. It operates across the globe through a network of sales and marketing offices. However, Jinko is not yet present on the French market.
- Solarworld: Another serious competitor of Sunpower is Solarworld which is a German company that has been in the photovoltaic panel sector since 2003. It operates throughout the production chain of photovoltaic panels, from raw material to installation, including the manufacture of wafers and cells as well as panels. This group is also present all over the world.
- SMA Solar Technology: This other German company should also be followed as part of your study of the competition in this sector. It manufactures inverters for photovoltaic installations intended to inject current into the network, as well as autonomous systems or back-up systems. It's currently the world leader in this segment in terms of turnover.
The strategic alliances set up by the Sunpower group:
But, Sunpower doesn't only have enemies in the market, it can also count on certain allies. Check out some examples of strategic partnerships that it has put in place in recent years:
- Corsica Sole: In 2016, the Sunpower group joined forces with the Corsica Sole company in order to build two ground-based solar power plants with a capacity of 1.5 megawatts as well as two other similar projects for a total capacity of 11.3 megawatts.
- Ford: Previously in 2011, Sunpower also allied with the American car manufacturer Ford in a partnership to allow buyers to fit the roofs of their homes with photovoltaic panels in order to produce their own energy for powering their vehicle. The program was named “Drive Green for Life”.