General presentation of Abbott :
Let's now take a moment to learn a little more about Abbott and its specific activities. Indeed, you need to know this group and its different sources of income before you start speculating on its share price and in order to detect all its future stakes.
Abbott Laboratories Group is a US company specialising in the research, development, production and sale of pharmaceutical and medical products.
In order to better understand the activities of this company, it is possible to divide them into different segments according to the share of turnover they generate and in this way :
- Vascular devices including stent systems, dilatation catheters, arterial closures and others accounted for 38.3% of Abbott Group sales.
- Diagnostic systems and instruments accounted for 24.2% of group sales.
- Next come nutrition products, including paediatric nutrition products, nutritional supplements and dietetic products, which generate 23.2% of the company's turnover.
- Medicines including anaesthetics, antiviral products, antibiotics, inhibitors and anti-inflammatories represent 14.1% of the company's turnover.
- Finally, 0.2% of turnover is generated by ancillary products.
It is also interesting to know the geographical distribution of this group's activities. The group currently generates 35.7% of its turnover in the United States, 7.4% in China, 5.5% in Germany, 4.5% in Japan, 4.4% in India, 3.3% in Switzerland, 3.1% in the Netherlands and 36.1% in the rest of the world.
Know the competition of the Abbott share :
We now invite you to find out more about the industry in which the Abbott Group operates today and therefore about its main competitors in the market. You need to know which companies offer products similar to Abbott's in order to monitor their news and their influence on prices.
- Johnson & Johnson: This US pharmaceutical company specialises in the production of pharmaceutical and medical devices, hygiene products, cosmetics and related services for consumers and healthcare professionals.
- Sun Pharmaceutical: This Indian company, which also specialises in the pharmaceutical sector, is also one of Abbott's major competitors.
- Pfizer: There will also be competition from the American group Pfizer, which operates worldwide and is one of the giants in this sector. It should be noted that Pfizer is often known for its numerous mergers with other competing companies.
- GlaxoSmithKline: The GSK group is a British multinational but also one of the 10 giants of the pharmaceutical industry in the world. The company was formed from the merger between Glaxo Wellcome and SmithKline Beecham in 2000.
- Sanofi : This French company is another competitor of Abbott. It is a company with activities in both pharmaceuticals with prescription medicines for diabetes, rare diseases, multiple sclerosis and oncology as well as generic medicines and consumer health and care products.
The strategic alliances set up by the Abbott Group :
After discovering the Abbott Group's main competitors, we suggest you learn a little more about its allies with a few examples of the strategic partnerships that the company has recently set up:
- Sanofi: In 2019, the Abbott Group entered into a collaborative partnership with Sanofi to integrate blood glucose monitoring and insulin delivery technologies to further simplify the way patients with diabetes manage their disease. As a result, the two companies will pool their innovation capabilities in connected care to develop tools that combine FreeStyle Free technology and insulin dosing data into intelligent pens and insulin dosing applications as well as cloud-based software.
- Caprion Pharmaceuticals Inc.: In 2004, Abbott entered into a research collaboration with Caprion Pharmaceuticals Inc. to discover novel therapeutic targets for the development of immunotherapeutic agents for lung cancer and through Caprion's quantitative proteomics platform, CellCarta.