About Barclay’s Bank:
Barclay’s is a British banking group that is one of the largest in the country. Its activities can be basically divided into three main sectors as follows:
- Commercial banking activities account for 36.8% of its turnover.
- Financing, investments and higher market activities account for around 33.2% of its turnover.
- The issuance of credit cards account for around 16.2% of its turnover.
The group currently manages 567.4 million Euros of deposits and 541.6 million Euros of credit. It mainly touches the European market.
The major competitors of Barclays:
The Barclays Group is a British banking group that exercises systematic banking activities and acts also as an investment bank. In this role it faces competition from various groups according to the activity sector concerned.
From a general point of view, in the United Kingdom, Barclays is the second bank in the country, just after HSBC. It is followed by the Lloyds Banking Group, the Royal Bank of Scotland, Standard Chartered, National Westminster bank, Santander, CYBG, Virgin Money and the Co-operative Bank.
Concerning the systematic world classification of level 2 banks, Barclays holds the leading position worldwide. It is followed by Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, ICBC, Mitsubishi UFJ and Wells Fargo.
To conclude, in the investment bank sector, Barclays holds ninth position following Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J P Morgan, Bank of America, Deutsche Bank, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, and UBS. Nomura holds tenth position in this category.
It is primordial that you know the major competitors of Barclays Bank if you plan to speculate online on its stock market share price. To do so we would particularly recommend that you follow the events and news of these companies and their financial results.
The major partners of Barclays:
And here, to conclude, are some major partnerships implemented by the Barclays Group that will assist you in your fundamental analyses.
- In 2015 Barclays implemented 8 strategic partnerships with American companies in the technology sector with the main objective of revolutionising FinTech in New York.
- In 2009 Barclays implemented a partnership with the French group CNP Assurances in the form of a joint company in Spain named CNP Barclays Vida. In 2015 CNP finally ceded its 50% share in this company to Barclays.
Price analysis of Barclay’s shares:
The price of Barclay’s shares is currently quoted on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange. It is also integrated into the calculations for the FTSE 100 stock exchange index.
A historical chart analysis of Barclay’s shares shows a major drop between March 2007 and March 2009, followed by a slight recovery that didn’t manage to recover all lost points. Since then this asset has moved in a relatively stable manner.
Economic and financial history of the Barclays Company:
- In 2008 the price of Barclays shares dropped by 69.02% in a single year due to the financial crisis.
- In 2009 the share price again dropped, this time by 53.57%.
- In 2011 Barclays announced the cessation of 3,000 jobs and sold Barclays Private Equity which became Equistone Partners.
- In 2012 the group purchased the British subsidiary of ING Direct for 320 million Euros and sold its OPCVM accounting activities.
- In 2014 the group announced a restructuration and the cessation of its activities in commodities. In the same year it cut 7,000 jobs. Still in 2014 Barclays sold its private banking activities in Spain to CaixaBank for 800 million Euros.
- In 2015 the company sold its investment banking activities in the United States to Stifel. In the same year it also sold its indices and financial analyses activities to Bloomberg.
- In 2016 Barclays sold its credit card activities in Spain to Banco Popular and its French activities to Anacap.
- In 2017 Barclays sold its 15% share in Barclays Africa for 2.2 billion pounds sterling.
Important stock market data about Barclays shares:
- In 2017 the total stock market capital of the Barclays Company achieved £3,432,007.74 million.
- The number of shares issued by Barclays and in circulation on the stock markets is around 37,023,332.
- The Barclays Company share price is currently quoted on the Main Market of the SETS London Stock Exchange in the United Kingdom.
- Barclays Company shares are also included in the composition of the FTSE 100 British stock market index which means it is among the top 100 companies in Great Britain concerning stock market capital.
- Shareholdings in the Barclays Company currently stand as follows: 6.98% by The Capital Group Companies, 6.65% by Qatar Holdings, 5.02% by BlackRock and 3.02% by Norges Bank. The rest of its shares are floating and are held by various individual investors.